Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Archon Archon is offline

Default 125 VAC motor won't start

On 7/31/2010 6:18 PM, a453 wrote:

Hi all I have a pump with a 2HP 125 V AC motor. All of a sudden the
motor wont start anymore. If I switch it on it just does a humming sound
and then thermal protection kicks in.

If I initiate the rotation of the motor by hand when the power is on the
motor does start working. The curious thing is that I can make it run
clockwise or counterclockwise by simply initiating the rotation by hand.

My guess is then that some electronic component that "tells" the motor
the direction in which to rotate is now broken and the motor "does not
know" any more wheter it must rotate clockwise or counterclockwise....

What should look in the electronics to try fix the motor? Condensers?
Diodes?....

Start capacitor most likely, they fail fairly often, if its a pool pump
a good pool supplies shop may have them.
JC