Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default tempered glass for windows?

I just priced the windows for the last room in my 100 yr old house.

One of the options the salesman offered was tempered glass. My
first instinct was 'sure, why not?' -- but the more I think about it,
I have trouble justifying the extra $2-300 for 3 windows.

These are second floor windows- not in a high wind area, though there
are trees nearby. They are not within range of any golf balls,
baseballs, or other missiles. The windows that are there now have
survived 110+ years without shattering. [likely the original windows
as all the panes have bubbles and imperfections]

So is there something else I'm missing that makes tempered a
worthwhile investment?

If the size of the pane makes a difference- 2 windows are 30x36 double
hungs- so the panes are about 26x15. The other is a 74x36 slider-
panes probably about 35x32.

They are Andersen 400s with the Smartsun LowE-4 glass.
[still open to suggestions if anyone has strong feelings about these
or other windows]

Jim