Posted to alt.home.repair
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default I hate CMUs (concrete blocks)

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Well, I really don't hate them. I've (registered Civil Engineer)
designed a lot of retaining walls and load bearing walls using CMUs
(Concrete Masonry Units). I hate how they are totally abused and
misused.
The following picture is a typical support under my house. 1950s
construction. This crap is throughout the house. BTW, the previous
owner, responsible for all of this, was successful in the lumber
business. You would think that on JUST ONE support under the house
he could have come up with the money for either a 4"x4" post or maybe
a 6"x6". Heck, he only would have needed an 8 or 10 inch length!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/ivanvegv...377 458850562

Ouch.

Speaking of shoring up joists, I may be doing a couple in my extra bedroom
for a heavy thing I am building to put in there. Acquiring/making a slab
of concrete to serve as a base isn't too terribly complicated, but how
does one go about dragging a 50+ pound slab over gravel and visqueen
through an 18" crawlspace to it's intended destination? Maybe a skid or
something?

Jon

Jon,
The footings that I am pouring (concrete) are 18"x18"x6". This necessitates
a 21"x21" form (outside dimensions). I usually screw the form together once
I am down and under. As far as moving heavy things around, I've discovered
that (short of a conveyor) two 3/4" PVC pipes laid parallel provide
excellent skid characteristics. I've dragged up to 120 pound loads (old
concrete rubble) on these two rails. Very low friction compared with
dragging across the earth.

Ivan Vegvary