Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers
Norman Wells[_4_] Norman Wells[_4_] is offline

Default New LCD television how reliable

geoff wrote:
In message VWQ4o.8453$806.4685@hurricane, Norman Wells
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Java Jive
writes
Over the years, consumer advice has consistently been against
paying for such extended warranties. They are a rip-off. In
fact, if you think about, there is a sense in which all insurance
is a rip-off. The best form of insurance is to have enough money
earning interest
to replace whatever it is that is being insured.

Really ?

Would you like to remind up how much money you would have to put
away for how long at today's interest rates to replace an item
which cost, shall we say, £400 ?

If it's something electronic, about £200.

Completely failed to understand, didn't you

The previous posted is saying that rather insuring, put that money
away for the interest to buy you a new one when it dies

So ... how much money would you have to put away, OK, lets sat for 5
years as that's the length of the warranty period we're talking about
to accrue £400 interest (at what, 2.5%?)

If you don't pay your insurance premium, you put that away. The interest on
it is irrelevant. Put £200 away that you save by having no insurance, and
that will pay for replacement of your £400 item. So, I don't think I've
failed to understand at all.