Posted to uk.d-i-y
Part timer Part timer is offline

Default HF ballasts for linear fluorescents

On Jul 31, 10:00*am, Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:09:29 -0700 (PDT), Part timer

wrote:
On the label, Philips recommend using short cable
lengths to one end of the tubes. What is the reason for this? I assume
something to do with 30kHz. How short is short?

Usually 1m for the "short" pair, 2m for the other. *Only really an
issue if the unit is mounted outside the fitting (not unusual in
display lighting).

Anything else I should watch out for apart from isolating the fitting,
double checking work, etc?

Usually a simple job, you may need to drill *a hole for a self tapping
screw to hold one end of the ballast as they are longer than the
standard one.

Thanks to all who replied. Purchase made. I realised about the screw
hole spacing but I'll have the fitting down to do the conversion
anyway. I won't be bothering with T5 just yet.