Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke Mike Clarke is offline

Default New LCD television how reliable

Peter Duncanson wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:56:29 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Adrian C wrote:
On 31/07/2010 06:01, Michaelangelo wrote:

Costco are wholesalers. In the UK that means they cannot legally sell
to the 'riff-raff'

I'm interested - what is exactly if the legal footing these and other
trade business enjoy to select customers? At the till, it's a VAT
receipt - like any other.

I wondered too, different VAT rules might apply (e.g. retail schemes vs
cash&carry schemes) but legally preventing them selling to certain
customers? Sounds wrong to me ...

I don't know the answer.

However, is it a legal restriction or a commercial restriction?

Is it the major retail chains which decide who should be able to buy at
wholesale prices? Those retail chains have considerable purchasing
power. They can boycott a supplier (manufacturer or importer) if that
business supplies goods to wholesale-price outlets that sell to just
anyone.

Well I doubt if any the major retail chains ever buy from Costco so they
won't have much in the way of clout. I suppose it's possible that planning
permission issues might sometimes result in this type of rule.

--
Mike Clarke