Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Goo-Gone substitute(s)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:43:11 -0400, Sum Guy wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Paint thinner, gasoline or lighter fluid works for me.

Let's see,,, ah yes I did say "on plastic."

All 3 come in plastic cans, so what is the problem?
What type of plastic do you have?

Not chemical resistant plastic.

Thanks for the troll attempt, now move along.

Incorrect use of the term troll.

And you never mentioned what type of plastic you have.

"Decorative" is not a type of plastic.

A lot of solvents won't destroy plastic. Nylon is another matter.

Acetone, toluene, laquer thinner will tend to melt most plastics, but
you will get your label off and the residue from the glue - you might
temporarily soften the plastic while doing it, and alter it's finish
slightly.

Of those 3, acetone is least likely to harm the plastic in question.

You might also try nitromethane. You can find it at hobby stores - it's
the fuel used for model airplanes.

Nitromethane will soften and remove dry superglue (cyanoacrylate) by the
way - way better than acetone (or nail polish) will.

You might also try MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) but again, keep the
exposure time to the plastic to a minimum.

If he's going out to the store for anything anyway, why not just buy
the Goo-Gone or Goof-off in the first place?
It won't damage even Styrene plastic, which gasoline, acetone, and
laquer thinners will disolve quite quickly.