Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tub re-caulk

On 7/30/2010 4:58 PM Higgs Boson spake thus:

I am having a very long and annoying time removing the old caulk from
my tub where it meets the tile wall. Somebody did a terrible job
recaulking, a while back. I tried repeatedly to deal with the mold
exteriorly with various mildewcides. Nothing worked, so I have now
grasped the nettle, and day by day, am chipping away at this train
wreck with various tools, mainly a razor blade in a straight holder.
Ghastly business!

QUESTION: Since I don't ever want to go through this again, I want to
clean/disinfect/whatever the area with the strongest and best
mildewcide on the market before I recaulk.

Everybody has their own favorites. Is there a concensus?

I think bleach does a dandy job, and is Available Everywhere. Anyone
have a good reason *not* to use bleach? (Assuming you rinse it away
completely before recaulking.)