Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default Repairing flexible pcb connector track?

"Ian P" wrote in
:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Ian P" wrote:

I'm leaning towards fine wire soldered jumpers across the breaks.

I wouldn't hesitate to do this, but I'd not attempt it whatsoever
without a microscope. Can you borrow one?

Unfortunately I don't have anything other than strong magnifying glasses
and I cannot think of anyone or anywhere I could borrow one from.

In the past I have tried soldering etc whilst looking through a
magnifying glass but have struggled because of only really looking
through one eye so really stereo magnification is what I need.

Do you have a video camera that can do closeups?
Can you work while watching what you are doing via a monitor?

If you have a piece of similar cable that you can glue along side the cut
one, you might be able to use straight pins to pierce both conductors
simultaneously and then turn the pins into 'rivets' permanently connecting
the broken conductors through the 'bridging' conductor.
Stagger the 'rivets' so they don't short to each other.

You may be able to get some very thin diameter straight pins such as used
for mounting butterflies or from a hobby store, used as nails, etc on small
models. Perhaps even with a copper coating, so that you could touch them
with a bit of solder to 'make things permanent'.

Try it first on some pieces of similar flex from the trash/junk box.

Stagger the pins to give more room to work.

Good luck!