Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Spindle temperature

Ignoramus5687 wrote:

It is an Interact mill, it is not really a Series II equivalent.

It has a 2 HP motor that says "good for 3 HP for 30 minutes".

Yes, but it is a standard Bridgeport Ser-II BOSS head.

Jon, I think that for now, I will file your advice but will refrain
from taking the head apart. It is just too risky. Just one stupid
thing and bye bye CNC mill.

Yes, years ago, I was the same way, horrified at the thought of horribly
messing something up.
There ARE things that shouldn't be taken apart because the "springs will
all fly out", but I am a lot
bolder now. Of course, after doing a complete strip-down and rebuild on
a 3500 Lb toolroom lathe,
maybe I have earned the confidence.

Anyway, if the spindle temp levels off after a longer run, then I agree,
it probably isn't a big problem.
If the temp keeps going up, then you are going to have to investigate.
You can get plenty of advice
here from people who know these machines better than me.

Jon