Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18915 Ignoramus18915 is offline

Default Better luck machining aluminum

On 2010-07-31, Wes wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I'm usually using 5/8" ground em's and 1 3/8 inserted. Hardened items,
well, that can be
thorny and I may go conventional with carbide on that kind of work.

Wes

I haven't done much climb milling, having had little access to machines that
will do it. But feedrate in steel is important, with smaller bites causing
much less drama, and I'm not surprised that higher rpm helps.

It's s.o.p. in production today, but those machines tend to be really rigid
throughout, with fixed beds and really rigid head support.

I suspect if I get out of my cutter range, I'd run into problems very quickly.

My first few attempts with carbide ended up with snaps. I must have learned something in
the interim. Maybe I have the 'feel' now. Small endmills and inconsistant feeds are a
formula for disastor on a manual mill.

On my manual mill, I had a good feel. Endmill should not squeal, red
hot chips are too hot, blued chips are likely too hot, etc