Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Better luck machining aluminum

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

You shouldn't have any trouble with it at all in aluminum. But pay close
attention to how your machine behaves when climb-cutting in steel. In a
small, conventional machine like yours, everything has to be tight or it
will chatter or generate some other vibration.

You'll know soon enough when you start using it.

I've found running carbide on bridgeports, climb milling works out better
than using hss.
Likely because I don't push carbide hard since it tends to snap and I've
got the rpm
cranked up as fast as the charts indicate for steel or the machine can do.
There is
something about the rpm that keeps things mellow. It is counter intuitive
but it works
for me usually. Locking axes that are not moving is of course good
practice.

I'm usually using 5/8" ground em's and 1 3/8 inserted. Hardened items,
well, that can be
thorny and I may go conventional with carbide on that kind of work.

Wes

I haven't done much climb milling, having had little access to machines that
will do it. But feedrate in steel is important, with smaller bites causing
much less drama, and I'm not surprised that higher rpm helps.

It's s.o.p. in production today, but those machines tend to be really rigid
throughout, with fixed beds and really rigid head support.

--
Ed Huntress