Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Better luck machining aluminum

"Ignoramus18915" wrote in message
On 2010-07-30, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ignoramus18915" wrote in message
On 2010-07-30, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus18915 wrote:

Pete, I will try some more. The problem is, one mistake and the
endmill snaps off. I think that I should practice with square end
endmills instead of the ball ends. I have much more of those.

I've never used ball end end mills so I'm speculating here.

Can you rough out the cavity with a conventional square end end mill?

EXACTLY WHAT i WILL DO

Since you piqued my interest about ball nose, I'm looking around a bit.
Go read page
28-30+

http://www.ingersoll.com/ictc/ictcpu...e/C-C580-3.pdf

Very fun stuff.

Also read:

http://www.kennametal.com/images/pdf...PCFEVMCQFBYIV0

nice, just what i need

Do you know the difference between climb milling vs conventional? I
prefer climb whenever
the machine can handle it. I usually climb mill on bridgeports with
leadscrews and on a
cnc it is the normal way since you don't have backlash to any degree
compared to lead
screws.

I am reworking everything nowto use climb.

You shouldn't have any trouble with it at all in aluminum. But pay close
attention to how your machine behaves when climb-cutting in steel. In a
small, conventional machine like yours, everything has to be tight or it
will chatter or generate some other vibration.

It weighs 5,000 lbs

Aha. I must have missed the model. Still, climb milling in steel will test
the rigidity of everything.

You'll know soon enough when you start using it.

--
Ed Huntress