Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff The Drunk[_5_] Jeff The Drunk[_5_] is offline

Default Coasting in neutral doesn't save gas

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:29:04 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

So says Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...ng-in-neutral-

fuel-economy?click=pm_news

'Course the author is assuming an internal combustion engine. Presumably
with a hybrid, the coasting actually CHARGES the batteries, thereby
increasing gas mileage. I'm not even going to get into external
combustion engines...

Most newer cars the OBDII keeps the RPMs up according to the speed, not
the pedal. I can shift into neutral while driving say at 35mph and my
RPMs won't drop to idle but rather slowly decrease with the speed of the
vehicle. I guess this is to limit drive train noise from slack.