Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan[_6_] Ivan[_6_] is offline

Default New LCD television how reliable

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I'm just about to buy a Sony television for about £500 from ebuyer. A
friend says that LCD televisions are now very reliable. So is it really
worth paying extra for a five year guarantee?

Depends who it is and how much.

Some makers have longer guarantees - e.g. LG have three years on their
small ones (which are also monitors) - so not worth paying 10% for another
two years in three years' time.

Similarly if you buy from Richer Sounds, their extended warranty is only
10% or £9.99p, whichever is more and in some cases you can get the premium
back if you don't claim in some cases.

Why don't the government simply make all electrical retailers do the same
Aldi and Lidl, i.e. an automatic three year warranty (without affecting your
statutory rights)
on any electrical item sold, my daughter returned an electric rice cooker
that I had purchased (and given her) for the princely sum of £9.99, this was
almost two years after I had bought it, they didn't have one in stock so
refunded the money without batting an eyelid, I hasten to add that she
didn't return it for the paltry £9 99, it was just that she liked it so much
that she was hoping to get a replacement and was disappointed when the
refunded the money instead.
I've recently purchased a laptop computer from Aldi which has a three year
comprehensive warranty on it, Argos was selling a very similar model and
wanted £149.99 extra for a 3 year insurance contract.