Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Repairing flexible pcb connector track?

Ian P wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian P wrote in message
In the course of doing some modifications to a very expensive Sony 3

chip
HD
camcorder I have accidentally cut through 3 tracks on the edge of a
mylar?
flexible cable. On the good side the damage is very accessible but the
bad
bit is the tracks are only 0.1mm wide on a 0.2mm pitch! Ideally one

would
just replace the flex pcb but in practice that would involve

dismantling
the
camera and lens to get to all the places the pcb branches out to, and

in
some places it actually goes into the lens mechanism itself.

I am considering abrading off the top mylar coating to expose the

copper
then bridging the breaks with some very narrow pitch zebra strip. My
other
idea is to make my own miniature insulation displacement/piercing

connector
using a stack of razor blade bits sandwiched with insulation layers.

The last option would be to use wire links and solder but I think this

could
only be done with some sort of mechanical micropositioning rig in view

of
the small sizes involved.

I would be interested to hear any thoughts or experiences if anyone has

any.

Cheers

Ian

Assuming you're not in a stripline-type situation with ground plane/rf
considerations, try plaiting some magnet wire and soldering to the 3 pcb
solder points at either end of the plaited section of "ribbon", you may
have to make a hole through the pcb though.

Its just low level analogue signals but the break is close to the end of

the
ribbon where the tracks are gold plated to fit in the board connector. The
copper conductors are encapsulated in the Mylar and drilling through the
track which is only 0.004" wide would not be easy!

Ian

No, making hole/s through the pcb, to take the plait, so you can make proper
solder joins to pre-existing solder joints on the ribbon sockets