Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default New LCD television how reliable

David wrote:

"Michaelangelo" wrote in message
john hamilton burst on the scene, and said:
I'm just about to buy a Sony television for about £500 from ebuyer.
A friend says that LCD televisions are now very reliable. So is it
really worth paying extra for a five year guarantee?

Personally, I think extended warranties on anything are a rip-off. I
embraced them fully when they first appeared but after a few years
realised that I had spent hundreds on them and had got nothing back -
even on products that you might expect to be at high risk of needing
repair, such as washing machines.

Why not buy your TV from a supplier that offers a free five year
warranty. I know someone who had a Sony TV from John Lewis. After
about 4 years he noticed a group of dead pixels. The screen couldn't
be replaced because of its age - no longer available - so he got a new
TV of his choice (with cash adjustment) from JL. John Lewis include
free 5 year warranties with most (all?) of their TVs, including Sony,
whether bought in-store or online There may well be other retailers
who do the same, JL just happen to be the one that I know of.

A relative buys from Richer Sounds, says good prices and good
warranties. Believe when he buys an extended one he gets money back if
he does not make a claim.

That is not how insurance works.;-)
Regards
David