Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv
David David is offline

Default New LCD television how reliable

"Michaelangelo" wrote in message
john hamilton burst on the scene, and said:
I'm just about to buy a Sony television for about £500 from ebuyer. A
friend says that LCD televisions are now very reliable. So is it really
worth paying extra for a five year guarantee?

Personally, I think extended warranties on anything are a rip-off. I
embraced them fully when they first appeared but after a few years
realised that I had spent hundreds on them and had got nothing back - even
on products that you might expect to be at high risk of needing repair,
such as washing machines.

Why not buy your TV from a supplier that offers a free five year warranty.
I know someone who had a Sony TV from John Lewis. After about 4 years he
noticed a group of dead pixels. The screen couldn't be replaced because of
its age - no longer available - so he got a new TV of his choice (with
cash adjustment) from JL. John Lewis include free 5 year warranties with
most (all?) of their TVs, including Sony, whether bought in-store or
online There may well be other retailers who do the same, JL just happen
to be the one that I know of.

A relative buys from Richer Sounds, says good prices and good warranties.
Believe when he buys an extended one he gets money back if he does not make
a claim.
Regards
David