Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv
Michaelangelo Michaelangelo is offline

Default New LCD television how reliable

Michaelangelo burst on the scene, and said:
john hamilton burst on the scene, and said:
I'm just about to buy a Sony television for about £500 from ebuyer.
A friend says that LCD televisions are now very reliable. So is it
really worth paying extra for a five year guarantee?

Personally, I think extended warranties on anything are a rip-off. I
embraced them fully when they first appeared but after a few years
realised that I had spent hundreds on them and had got nothing back -
even on products that you might expect to be at high risk of needing
repair, such as washing machines.

Why not buy your TV from a supplier that offers a free five year
warranty. I know someone who had a Sony TV from John Lewis. After
about 4 years he noticed a group of dead pixels. The screen couldn't
be replaced because of its age - no longer available - so he got a
new TV of his choice (with cash adjustment) from JL. John Lewis
include free 5 year warranties with most (all?) of their TVs,
including Sony, whether bought in-store or online There may well be
other retailers who do the same, JL just happen to be the one that I
know of.

I should have said that the above account re John Lewis happened at the
this year (February) - so it's not old history.

--
Michaelangelo
www.flickr.com/photos/mikenagel

Self-catering, holiday accommodation in the Scottish Highlands - for
disabled people:
www.woodhead-cottage.co.uk