Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Harbor Freight Cargo Carrier - 92655 - Experience?

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:39:57 -0400, Jay Hanig
wrote:

On 7/29/2010 2:40 PM, mm wrote:
I just figured I'd try for some "real life" opinions here. You never
really know what filters a web site might use on their comments -
especially the web site that is selling the product. Go ahead, call me
paranoid. I lost all trust when I found out the Penthouse Letters were
faked.

Harbor freight plays it straight. Go to their website and search for a
heavy duty trailer dolly. I bought one after reading the reviews, then
posted my own experience. True, it was mostly positive but I included
what I didn't like and how I had to modify it to make it suit my needs.
They've printed my comments verbatim.

That's not enough to be sure. You need to find one that is very
negative about something important, a rating that if believed to be
true much of the time, one wouldn't buy it. Or maybe worse.

OK, here's one I didn't write but is on their website with just one out
of five possible stars awarded:

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-66787.html

I'll quote them:

=== cut begins ===
Not a quality welder Review by Brian

I purchased this welder for my auto restoration product. The arc is
hard to start with out getting the electrode stuck to the surface of the
work piece. I switched over to use the Tig Torch & the same problem
occurred. You have to get so close to start the arc, that it just sticks
to the metal. I re-ground te Tungsten probably 20 times, went through 2
tanks of Argon and still do not have the panel repaired. I welded for
years and never had this many problems with Tig welding. Spend the extra
cash and go for a Lincoln welder.

(Posted on 5/2/10)
=== cut ends ===

Like I said, I believe they play it straight. I always read their

That one meets my standards. Very good.

If I had read the ratings on a radio shack cell phone headset, on the
radios shack site, I wouldn't have bought that either, but it was a
cheaper item, 15 dollars, and I had never looked at it on the computer
at all. They weren't as bad as the one above, but the four together
averaged out bad. -- Volume with the thing plugged in and stuck in my
ear is lower than without it.

reviews not only to help decide whether to buy or not but how to modify
and/or assembly hints. People write all kinds of stuff there.

And like some others, I'll give up the pretty wrapping and clear
instructions if I can get something both workable and CHEAP. Some
things I'd never buy from HF. Some things I'd never buy anywhere else.

Jay