Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Great local mill, Van Norman #16, $950

On 2010-07-28, Karl Townsend wrote:

[ ... ]

If Iggy or someone else in Chi doesnt snag that mill..they are ****ing
daft.

I must be missing something. Not a versatile machine for an HSM, industry
don't want an old unit like this. I don't see much value here.

Industry wants CNC for productivity. A HSM does not need
productivity -- and it is *very* versatile.

It is a great mill and much better than a Bridgeport, when it comes to
versatility and rigidity. Parts are probably harder to come by.

I want CNC for accuracy and repeatability.

The spindle changes from vertical to horizontal (with the
proper supports for the outboard end of the arbor) or any angle in
between. There are things which are a lot easier to do on a horizontal
spindle machine. This is the same feature which makes Gunner's Abene so
attractive.

yep

And this is a *universal* mill -- which means that the X-axis
can be set at an angle other than 90 degrees. This, in combination with
the horizontal mill setup can be used for milling spiral flutes when
making special tools.

If it were local, and I had room for it, I would grab it and
retire my Nichols horizontal mill -- in spite of the matching name. :-)

Hmmm, so you're saying I should buy your mill and this one?

Can't really afford it sadly...