Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Guess which subject has reared up again?

Clive George
wibbled on Thursday 29 July 2010 23:55

On 29/07/2010 21:10, js.b1 wrote:

Electric blankets (electrocution or death-by-left-on more a concern)

death-by-left-on?

I used to think electric blankets were for old fogies till we got one -
in a cold house they're fantastic. High setting (100w?) is too hot to
sleep, but if by mistake they're not switched off 1 or 2 can be ok.

Was in the London Science Museum today with the sprogs. Down in the basement
they have an exhibition of old appliances, including:

Many open element fires, one of which had the coil elements utterly
unprotected save 3 horizontal guard wires about 3" apart.

How did we stay alive?...

My great aunt recalled an episode where she was hoovering the switched off
electric fire, and there was a huge bang as the metal hoover tube shorted
the mercifully earthed guard wires to the exposed element as the plug had
live and neutral reversed and the switch was single pole.

The best one was the "sun bath" reflector-heater with inbuilt carbon arc
lamp "because UV is good for you" - bugger all mechanical protection again,
never mind the poor user's eyes!

--
Tim Watts