Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Guess which subject has reared up again?

Spamlet wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
"cynic" wrote in message
No prizes unfortunately and a few with an axe to grind

http://www.theiet.org/Forums/forum/m...threadid=22672

Like you I have written to my MP. I suggest that others here do the same.

It would be priceless if someone here knew the statistics and posted them
here, so that any letters had substance.

The firemen who came to give us free smoke detectors seemed to think that
toasters under kitchen cupboards and hanging tea towels on the rail on the
front of oven doors were the most dangerous things - after smoking that is.

Candles are far far worse than smoking No one leaves a fag burning
INTENTIONALLY.

And open fires without guards are pretty merciless. In laws lost
their house and two cats to that one..

I have started half a dozen smouldering fires with fag ends. Including
one in the North Vietnamese Embassy, but that's another story..all were
put out by ME.

I've seen fat fires three-4 times. All put out without intervention by
The Authorities..
I've started half a dozen chimney fires as well, all doused in seconds..

I bet amongst sane sober people fag fires come out lower than candles, ...

Can't quite visualise the oven door scenario,

I can. Me mum did that one once. opened gas oven door and scorched the
**** out of a tea towel in seconds.

but I can vouch for the
toaster one, as 'I' once set off the fire alarm in a B&B early one morning,
and got the whole place out of bed, while I tried to get at the very short
flex of the toaster to unplug it and get it out from under the cupboards it
was near to setting fire to!

Well worth checking your own toaster is away from the cupboards before you
trust the automatic ejector! And NEVER trust a cheapo one in a
B&B/self-catering let.

Ive got a 6 and half grand toaster that doesn't have that problem.

Its called an Aga :-)