Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sound Deadening Underlay

In article ,
wrote:
Thus spake "Dave Plowman (News)" ) unto the assembled multitudes:

If it is footsteps on a hard floor you're hearing, any underlay and
therefore carpet will stop this.

I beg to differ. It'll certainly help, but it won't stop it. You'll
still be able to hear people moving about.

Well, yes. But it will reduce footsteps to near zero.

And it won't make a lot of
difference to airborn sounds.

Never said it would. Although good underlay and a thick carpet will help
slightly over either a bare floor or a hard covering.

In the 1980s I lived in a flat which was
probably like the OP's and despite thick underlay and thick carpet, I
could still hear the neighbours changing their minds.

Sounds like you had other problems there.

I guess it depends how noise-tolerant the neighbouring occupiers are.
It really got me down. After two years I bought a house and saved my
sanity!

Indeed. There should perhaps be noise separation measurements as part of a
survey for flats

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.