Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5687 Ignoramus5687 is offline

Default Debugged a function to mill a cone

On 2010-07-28, Bob La Londe wrote:

What happens -- especially in aluminum -- is that the previously
cut chips are forced against the just cut surface and weld themselves
there. With the climb milling (unsafe with heavy cut -- especially on a
worn manual mill and doubly so with pocket milling) the cuts remove the
material and leave a nice clean surface. With the ball screws and the
control from the servo motors, you should not have problems with
reasonable levels of climb milling on your machine.

Right, but there is another effect. With conventional milling, the
cutting edge skates along the just-cut material until enough pressure is
produced to bite under the surface. This sliding wears the cutting
edge. I do ALL my work as climb milling now, and so very rarely do I
ever have a cutter wear out, it is great! I do have a CNC machine with
tight screws, and I think Igor does, too.

This meand that with normal right handed end mills, I would be better
off doing counterclockwise circular cuts when finishing inside circles?