Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5687 Ignoramus5687 is offline

Default Accu-Lube LS-3V lubrication thing, what oil goes in it

On 2010-07-29, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus5687 wrote:
I tried Accu-lube very late last night (I should really get some
sleep). It blasts a stream of compressed air with oil, and blows chips
ALL OVER THE PLACE. Now I know why aluminum chips were in the most
unlikely spots on the mill. This is really messy.

I was laso warned to use vegetable formula "or else" risk my health.

I think that the better way to go is Lexan guards and flood coolant. I
still have some of that Hangsterfer S500 that Mike gave me.

I agree totally. Vegetable oil won't POISON you, but it is still real
bad for your lungs.
The spray of stuff all over the machine is not good for IT, either. I
do some flood machining
with NO guards at all, all this stuff about 1/2" thick lexan is for the
high-end machining stuff, the Bridgeport can't spin fast enough to
create the really hazardous missiles, except maybe with large face
cutters or fly cutters.

My idea to use lexan guards is mostly to keep coolant inside. 4k RPM
is where some potentially troublesome objects could be launched, so
some shielding would be helpful. I agree that Bridgeports are not that
hazardous, unlike some of those 25k RPM machining centers.

I have been using something formulated mostly for aluminum by Engineered
Lubricants, and it is amazing stuff.

How does regular flood coolant work on Aluminum?

I've never had a problem with rust, even where it seeps under the
vise and stays there for MONTHS! I get a black stain that wipes off
with a paper towel!

Yep, flood coolants can dry into rust colored goo, but in fact they
provide a lot of rust protection.