Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Spindle temperature

Ignoramus6705 wrote:

I ran my mill for 16 minutes at 3,000 RPM (I get email when my CNC
jobs complete). It was machining a mold prototype for a kids toy. We
will need to cast 18 of them that in wax, and the mold will be made

Oh, the other thing to know is, how far does this progress? If the
temperature just keeps
climbing at this ~ 2 degree F per minute rate, you have a SERIOUS
problem, and the bearings are going to blow shortly.
If it levels off at 130 F and stays there, I'd still be a little
concerned, but it isn't going to melt down right away.

What concerns me is the rate of rise, which is some measure of the heat
output. My spindle gets hot, too, but it
takes at least a half hour or more to get near this temp.

Jon