Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Accu-Lube LS-3V lubrication thing, what oil goes in it

Ignoramus5687 wrote:
I tried Accu-lube very late last night (I should really get some
sleep). It blasts a stream of compressed air with oil, and blows chips
ALL OVER THE PLACE. Now I know why aluminum chips were in the most
unlikely spots on the mill. This is really messy.

I was laso warned to use vegetable formula "or else" risk my health.

I think that the better way to go is Lexan guards and flood coolant. I
still have some of that Hangsterfer S500 that Mike gave me.

I agree totally. Vegetable oil won't POISON you, but it is still real
bad for your lungs.
The spray of stuff all over the machine is not good for IT, either. I
do some flood machining
with NO guards at all, all this stuff about 1/2" thick lexan is for the
high-end machining stuff, the Bridgeport can't spin fast enough to
create the really hazardous missiles, except maybe with large face
cutters or fly cutters.

I have been using something formulated mostly for aluminum by Engineered
Lubricants, and it is amazing stuff.
I've never had a problem with rust, even where it seeps under the vise
and stays there for MONTHS! I get a black
stain that wipes off with a paper towel!

Jon