Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Accu-Lube LS-3V lubrication thing, what oil goes in it

Ignoramus6705 wrote:
This is supposed to be some kind of a microdrop thing.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Accu-Lube/

It came with the mill. If I understand it right, I am supposed to use
special vegetable oil with it.

1) Would mcMaster item 10305K26 be the proper lubricant to put into it
(I will try to find out by calling the company, but I doubt that
they still exist based on some google searches).
2) Is that supposed to be used on aluminum?

I tried machining Aluminum. First without lube, promptly broke
endmill. :-(

Then I tried a bigger end mill, slower feed, and this
Accu-Lube. (there is still a tiny amount of oil left in it).

The endmill did not break, but aluminum still gummed up
completely.

The aluminum did seem machinable.

One big trick with aluminum is to keep the tool moving, and prevent heat
from building up in one spot.
If the cutter gets filled with globs of aluminum, then the metal got
hot, not much other explanation.
I can do plenty of machining with just brushed-on thread cutting lube
from the hardware store, but for
heavy material removal, I use a water-based flood coolant. That
guarantees the work stays cool.
Heating aluminum even to where you can't hold your hand on it for 10
seconds will soften it to the point
it won't cut worth a darn. If it is hot enough to boil water, you are
in BIG trouble, and the big glob of metal
all over your end mill is within seconds of happening.

6061-T6 and 2024-T3+ (any heat treat value above T3) are eminently
machinable. 3003 is marginal, and 5052 is OK but can still be bent on a
brake after machining, so I use a fair amount of it.

So, the big trick is to take light cuts and higher feedrates, instead of
trying to take the entire cut in one pass. The combination of slow feed
and local heat buildup and lots of chip production will cause problems.

What depth of cut, RPM and feedrates were you using, what size end mill,
how many flutes? Also, plowing full width with an end mill is the worst
case for all the problems.
A general rule of thumb is that when plowing a slot in material, you
never step down more than 1/2 the end mill diameter, and then take as
many passes as needed to reach the desired slot depth. Some people just
keep plowing down the middle, others like to vary the path a little to
the side (like going back and forth .010" each pass) then take a finish
pass down each side to clean up the walls.

Another rule of thumb is to make the chip load per tooth equal to .010"
per inch of cutter diameter. So, a 1/2" end mill would get .005" chip
load per tooth. If running at 2000 RPM, and 4 flutes, that would be 40
IPM! This is all off my handy-dandy McDonnell-Douglas speed & feed
slide rule, but these sound a bit aggressive to me. I might go more
with 10 IPM in a slot application, and .050 to .1" plunge depth with a
1/2" cutter.

Many people LOVE WD-40 as their ultimate aluminum cutting lube.

Jon