Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew May Andrew May is offline

Default Mira shower self-destruction (long)

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:16:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
just another reason not to use pumped water supplies really.

I know its a substantial investment, but mains pressure water everywhere
is a far nicer solution.

Assuming you're urban enough to have mains

Every once in a while I worry about our well pump - if some catastrophic
failure of the plumbing occurred then the pump would just run and run
until something broke. I wonder about adding a thermal cut-out, but
something more intelligent ("if water's been continually flowing for more
than x minutes then shut the whole system down") would be even nicer...

I'm not sure if there's a cheap, reliable way of getting hold of a flow
sensor though (not something to measure rate of flow, just something to
detect if water is moving at all)

I haven't investigated how it works but my Miele washing machine has a
valve that connects directly to the cold supply and will shut if there
is a leak detected.

Andrew