Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mira shower self-destruction (long)

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:16:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
just another reason not to use pumped water supplies really.

I know its a substantial investment, but mains pressure water everywhere
is a far nicer solution.

Assuming you're urban enough to have mains

Every once in a while I worry about our well pump - if some catastrophic
failure of the plumbing occurred then the pump would just run and run
until something broke. I wonder about adding a thermal cut-out, but
something more intelligent ("if water's been continually flowing for more
than x minutes then shut the whole system down") would be even nicer...

I'm not sure if there's a cheap, reliable way of getting hold of a flow
sensor though (not something to measure rate of flow, just something to
detect if water is moving at all)

actually, there is..

fairly sure that if you run it through a plastic pipee and shove a
magnet either side and push a pair of pins in, at right angles to the
magnetic field, you should get a few millivolts if the water is flowing,
provided it has any salts in it at all. voltage should be proportional
to velocity. Its a very inefficient dynamo.