Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff The Drunk[_5_] Jeff The Drunk[_5_] is offline

Default very hot water

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 05:17:31 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:45:27 -0400, Herb Eneva wrote:

Yesterday while running hot water it was very hot --almost boiling.
I have a 40 gal. electric water heater. Does this mean a stuck
thermostat and how do I change it?

Did you ever watch the TV show Mythbusters? They contested a myth that
a hot water tank could explode with so much force that it would launch
like a rocket through several floors and out the roof. They disabled
the thermostat and safety relief pressure valve and at about 320
degrees F inside, the tank launched as expected. And this was using
only the heating elements in the heater, no external heat source.

My point is; If you don't know how to change a thermostat you should
probably seek local professional help and not trust the advice from the
lunatics in this news group.

I heard you can put your eye out with a screwdriver, or kill your whole
family by using a candle without proper training. But since I'm one of
the lunatics, I don't rely on professionals to operate those things for
me.

Good boi! pats you on head