Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default very hot water

In article ,
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:45:27 -0400, Herb Eneva wrote:

Yesterday while running hot water it was very hot --almost boiling. I
have a 40 gal. electric water heater. Does this mean a stuck thermostat
and how do I change it?

Did you ever watch the TV show Mythbusters? They contested a myth that a
hot water tank could explode with so much force that it would launch like
a rocket through several floors and out the roof. They disabled the
thermostat and safety relief pressure valve and at about 320 degrees F
inside, the tank launched as expected. And this was using only the
heating elements in the heater, no external heat source.

My point is; If you don't know how to change a thermostat you should
probably seek local professional help and not trust the advice from the
lunatics in this news group.

I heard you can put your eye out with a screwdriver, or kill your whole
family by using a candle without proper training. But since I'm one of
the lunatics, I don't rely on professionals to operate those things for
me.