Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default KO Lee Tool & Cutter Grinder bearings - was resolution

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:46:41 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

I have one noisy bearing in the head and I'm debating replacing that
before I put the flange back on.

RWL

Do the bearing. Best pricing can be found with Alpine Bearing, if you
tell them you are part of the RapidTurn Group.

Trust me...your pricing will be much better than normal.

Second choice...Thompson Industrial, in Anaheim, California.

Tell them you are a member of Coyote Engineering.
Gunner

Thanks. I sent email inquiries to both companies.

When I spoke with KO Lee / LeBlond today, their bearings aren't
specified with regard to ABEC class and the ones they have available
are $15 apiece, which suggests that they are only generic bearings
without a high ABEC rating. The updated designation for their bearing
is 6203-LLB/2A. The LLB signifies two non-contact rubber seals and
the 2A indicates it's running in grease, not oil.

There's somebody on eBay listing a bearing 6203-2RZ in ABEC 5 for $13
and free shipping. I think that's pretty similar to the bearing I
need. From what I can tell, it differs only in that the 2RZ is two
metal shields and the LLB is two non-contact rubber seals. I"m not
sure if the seals vs shields makes a difference and whether seal
contact vs non-contact makes a difference. ABEC 7 would be ideal, but
ABEC 5 would do from what I'm told elsewhere.

RWL

You really really should call them, rather than email them. Emailing
companies .......often times doesnt work very well. Particularly when
the people you want to talk to..that recognize the names I gave you..are
NOT the ones reading the emails.

I should have been more specific. Sorry.

you want rubber shielded bearings rather than the ZZ metal shielded
bearings. WIth rubber..NOTHING gets into them. With metal
shielded..coolant gets in.

Which is a very bad thing if you are running anything besides oil, over
time.

Gunner

Gunner Asch