Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Belt stretch affects CNC mill accuracy?

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

RogerN wrote:

"Ignoramus6705" wrote in message
My friend told me that he saw something written somewhere that
Bridgeport Interacts cannot mill (bore) a precisely round hole,
because of stretch on the servo motor timing belts. What do you think
about this statement.

I would think it is minimal since an entire turn of the handwheel is 0.2"
or
so. I would guess belt stretch to make less than a half thou difference.
But if it does affect your parts, you have the capability to put DRO
scales
on your mill and use them with EMC2 instead of the motor encoders.
That's
what my mill has, an Anilam control with Anilam DRO scales , the motors
have
tachometers on them, they are stable even with backlash.

Have you found me a Syncrowave yet? :-)

RogerN

He could also move his current encoders to be directly connected to the
ballscrews, eliminating any possible belt issues from the positioning
accuracy. He would cut the counts per inch in half, but I think it's
high enough not to matter.

My Anilam lathemate lathe does that, the encoders are coupled to the
ballscrew.

RogerN