Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus6705 Ignoramus6705 is offline

Default Belt stretch affects CNC mill accuracy?

On 2010-07-29, RogerN wrote:

"Ignoramus6705" wrote in message
My friend told me that he saw something written somewhere that
Bridgeport Interacts cannot mill (bore) a precisely round hole,
because of stretch on the servo motor timing belts. What do you think
about this statement.

I would think it is minimal since an entire turn of the handwheel is 0.2" or
so. I would guess belt stretch to make less than a half thou difference.
But if it does affect your parts, you have the capability to put DRO scales
on your mill and use them with EMC2 instead of the motor encoders. That's
what my mill has, an Anilam control with Anilam DRO scales , the motors have
tachometers on them, they are stable even with backlash.

Roger, there is no handweel attached to the ballscrews.

Have you found me a Syncrowave yet? :-)

I had one for sale for $600 last year. I asked for 600 here and 750
elsewhere. No one from this newsgroup wanted it, so I sold it for $750.