Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Great local mill, Van Norman #16, $950

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:59:03 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

Somebody..GRAB this!!!

Van Normans are one of the finest workhorse mills ever made.

My partner and I bought a #36 sometime back..its a big one...and Its
Farking Fantasitc!!

They are simply marvelous for things that other mills simply cant do,
without a ****load of speciality tooling, adapters and whatnot.

Snag it!!!!!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Iggy's waiting a reply on his $5 offer :-)

RogerN

If Iggy or someone else in Chi doesnt snag that mill..they are ****ing
daft.

I must be missing something. Not a versatile machine for an HSM, industry
don't want an old unit like this. I don't see much value here. I can see a
use for some special odd jobs but most, like myself, just can't have all the
these special use units filling up limited shop space. For example, I've
often pined for a pantograph but can't justify the space it would take. I
came to the same conclusion with a horizontal mill and a shaper, just to
mention a few nice to have machines. Now, I did make room for both a sinker
and a wire EDM and I really shouldn't have.

Karl

You dont...have a horizontal mill..or a shaper??

Blink blink......blink.

Ewwwww dude....I thought you were a home shop machinist?

Blink blink........

wow dude.....you just busted my bubble...sigh.

Nearly everyone I know has a horizontal mill and a shaper and a lathe or
two, and some sort of verticle miller and a drill press or two and a OA
torch and a welder or three.......

And you think that the Van Norman, which is both a horizontal mill and a
verticle mill of great power and rigidity and utility....is...unusable
in anyones shop......

Dude....you have me speechless....Im going to have to go lay down now
and try to forget what you just said.......damn.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch

Gunner

Gunner Asch