Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Debugged a function to mill a cone

On 2010-07-28, Bob La Londe wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

Oh yes -- do you also have the ability to specify conventional
or climb milling? If so -- do the heavy work in conventional, and the
finish cuts in climb which makes a cleaner surface (especially in
aluminum. :-)

I did not know that. Now I'm going to have to run out to the shop and do
some experiments to see. If it's a big enough difference I am going to have
to double the number of MOPs for almost every job when I am laying it out.

What happens -- especially in aluminum -- is that the previously
cut chips are forced against the just cut surface and weld themselves
there. With the climb milling (unsafe with heavy cut -- especially on a
worn manual mill and doubly so with pocket milling) the cuts remove the
material and leave a nice clean surface. With the ball screws and the
control from the servo motors, you should not have problems with
reasonable levels of climb milling on your machine.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564