Posted to uk.d-i-y
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default Match this kitchen unit door?

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:16:27 +0100, Spamlet wrote:

I have managed to break a panel on one of our kitchen unit doors:

Is that panel a bit of real wood? It looks as if it might be from the
picture, as the splits seem to follow a grain and I wouldn't expect
MDF or other maufactured timber to split like that. If so you may be
able to glue the edges back together, be a lot easier to do if you
can get the panel out of the frame to get a cramp across it. It looks
to held in with the beading on the front but if you disturb the
limewash in the corners it might be fun getting that back. I suspect
the back is a rebate in the frame.

Does anyone here who does more of these things, know if this design is
still around?

The shed/kitchen unit suplliers web sites are probably your best bet.
Unless someone can come up with the style name and maker.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Well it was so brittle I didn't really look at it as if it was wood, but now
you mention it, closer inspection shows it to be some kind of wood, but the
finish is a sort of lacquer film on the top. So many little bits have
shaken off the edges that it would probably always look wrong if I tried to
stick it back together I'm afraid.

As in my post script, it was originally from Wickes, but they didn't seem to
have anything like it the last time I looked (I'll see if there website says
anything - but I did try to get an additional glass fronted unit from them
once before, without success.)

Cheers,