Larry Jaques

Default OT - Take it out in trade

On 6 Jan 2004 19:02:05 -0800, (Phil Crow)
brought forth from the murky depths:

Before I begin, I'd like to say that the subject line on my Google
'compose message' fills in the subject automatically, while you, uh,
stroke the keys (they're called keystrokes, okay?) and I have about 8
or 10 posts that start with OT. Perhaps I should actually learn
something about woodworking so that I can post something ON topic.
Having said that,

Do people still trade labor any more? Steve's post about wanting some
writing done in exchange for a plane got me to thinking about that.

Yes. I belong to a trade organization, a barter bank, and did about
$6,000 in trade last year. The bank idea is that you trade to the bank
and can then use your credits with any of the 3,500 worldwide members,
not just straight trading with a single other party. [If you join BXI,
please mention my name. They pay us $100 (in trade) for referrals.]
http://ww3.bxinsider.com/

I sold my time-share and did some web programming/marketing for that.
I bought dental work, gifts, my tax preparation, advertising, a guitar
tuner, and several other things with the barter bucks.

few weeks ago, I offered to hang about 50 SF of tongue-and-groove
wainscoating in exchange for a wood-burning stove and the lady who was
getting rid of the stove had to think about it for a minute. She was
on the verge of selling the stove for fifty bucks, and wasn't sure
about exchanging a couple of hours of my time for that stove.

Legally, you're supposed to report all trade monies to the IRS.
BXI sends a 1099 to them every year for me. Straight trades such
as you speak of are probably seldom reported by most people.

My folks did a lot of business like that. That's where I learned the
expression, "We'll take it out in trade." Do people not do that any
more? Do any of y'all do that?

When I hear the phrase "We'll take it out in trade." I think of the
times when pretty (but cashless) girls wanted their cars fixed. Ah,
the good old days... I also used to trade work for beer back in those
days. I've rescreened doors, installed windows, planed doors to fit,
painted, built shelving, etc. in trade, too. --obww, finally

Whenever you trade, it's nice to get a fair deal, but it's not
necessarily going to happen that way. Your time was probably worth
more but you wanted the stove. Whatever works for you is great.

The Titanic. The Hindenburg. + http://www.diversify.com
The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design