Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default New Friends - What goes around, comes around.

The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 7/27/2010 7:06 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jul 27, 3:05 pm, wrote:
On Jul 27, 4:36 pm, wrote:

[...]

In any event, what could have been a pretty bad week ended up with us
having made some new friends and having our faith in the human race
restored.

I actually teared up reading this story. Am so down these days about
people that it helps, big-time, to read about one decent human being,
and possibly a budding friendship resulting from his good deed.

Every time I help someone and they offer me money, I refuse and tell
them to pass it on. Someone may need a jump start, a lift to the gas
station, etc. I'm not wealthy by any means but I'll always tell them
to help someone else as payment. I've always wondered how many of them
actually do and I'd like to think that every one of them has taken a
little time to return the favor.

TDD

I adopted that practice, too. There were times I received help but
could not return the favors....came a time I owed the world, so "pass it
along" seemed a good way to go. There have been a few neighbors who
play the more generous for suckers, but I decided that is THEIR problem,
not mine. Had one neighbor who asked me to babysit on short notice one
evening for girls' night out...nice lady, not a party animal, kid was
sleeping....she didn't offer to pay me, which I thought was rather odd
and I didn't want to be paid. Not a big deal, just kind of rude or
something.

Had another neighbor whose painter made a royal mess preparing the apt.
My hubby was helping the painter and might have gotten him drunk...I
just recall seeing a lot of beer cans in the trash can that day...we're
retirees, lots of time on our hands, helped the schmuck get paint off
his parquet floor and kitchen cabinets. I was scraping crud off the
tile in HIS bathroom when he came back from checking on the movers. The
tile was the last mess to clean up (using MY cleaning supplies), so we
were just about done. He came back from checking on the movers, started
talking about how expensive it was to pack mirrors, blah, blah, blah. I
knew what was coming next....cancelled the movers. We vamoosed for the
rest of the day, but the next morning the ******* still wasn't moved, so
we helped. I already had planned a pot of spaghetti for supper that
night and made enough for them. Nice dinner, ice cream and fresh
raspberries for dessert. Social climbing wife made it plain that we
were acquaintances, not friends. She did ask me to babysit, and always
inquired how much her hubby had to drink if he had visited that day.
Educational stay at this condo )