Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ? about low-voltage lighting wiring

On Jul 27, 11:46*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*Tony wrote:
John Grabowski wrote:

" While we are on this subject, is there such a thing as high-quality low
voltage outdoor lighting ??? *The stuff at the big box stores is *SO
cheap,
and the bulb sockets are so crude, always causing problems over time.....

*Check out Kichler and also Hadco. *I recently installed a bunch of
Kichler lights around some steps. *I was very impressed with the
durability. *Of course they listed for around $300.00 for each fixture.

At that price I think I'd run 120VAC and forget the low voltage stuff.

Sure. But the good 120 volt units are also in that price range. Why do
people whine and snivel about quality, and then whine and snivel about
the price of the good stuff? If you can't afford the good stuff, do
without, I say.

I like bayonet. I put marine grease on the bayonet bulbs in my
motorcycle. That solves the corrosion issues. I thiink you can use
other greases as well, just that I have marine grease around for the
boat. I think the base of the wedge ones would get too hot to do this.