Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Debugged a function to mill a cone

Jon Anderson wrote:
On 7/28/2010 5:20 AM, Ignoramus6705 wrote:

It is from some old Indian motorcycle. I am not a motorcycle guy and
have no knowledge or interest in them. But my friend does. This is
perhaps a 90 year old sprocket that needs to be reproduced. I would
guess that the angle on it is not standard.

Ok, REAL vintage. Ask what year and model, my dad rode and raced
Indians for years. Is it a front or rear sprocket? I'll ask what he
knows (remembers?) about the fit of this taper.

Jon

I'm gonna bet it's the sprocket on the transmission output shaft . I've got
a '39 Harley Flathead that uses a tapered fit sprocket (and clutch hub , and
motor sprocket) , mine also incorporates an oil seal into the sprocket .
I'll be boring the hub and machining the seal portion on the lathe . Might
fit a modified sprocket section on my homemade hub , unless I can pick up a
sprocket cutter for "real cheap" .

--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist