Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Couple of floor-tiling questions...

AL_z wrote:
stuart noble wrote in
newsYV3o.25659$Sr.22908@hurricane:

AL_z wrote:
I'm preparing ro tile my hallway with ceramic tiles. Is it really
necessary to remove the skirting boards before tiling, or is it
considered OK to tile up to the skirting boards (leaving them in
place)?

Tiling up to the skirting looks a bit naff IMO, plus you have to be
very accurate with your cutting to get a straight edge

Thank you; that's a good point. What is the usual practice concerning door
architraves? I'm guessing they ease it off at the bottom, then cut a bit
off, so that the tile can go under it when it is nailed back in place, Is
that usual practice?

Al

You can cut them without moving them. You just need a handsaw without
the handle (or an extremely bendy saw) so that you can run the blade
flat against the tile at 90 degs to the architrave. Make that an old saw
as there is usually a nail or two at the bottom.