Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default A very senior moment...

On 26 July, 20:05, Jules Richardson
wrote:

However, you can link it to your PC and transfer stuff there for storage
if you prefer.

Aha, now that is useful! I'd figured that the manufacturers were probably
leaned on by movie and TV companies and didn't allow people to do stuff
like that, so you got stuck with a self-contained box and had to start
binning stuff when space ran out.

Downloadibf from the topfield is certainly feasible, but a bit of a
pain, as (at least with the Topfield PVR5800) the download link is
USB, which is (a) slow-ish, and (b) ties up the 'toppy' whilst you're
downloading.

I' hoping the next generation will have (or have already?) an Ethernet
connection. I'd happily pay for one of those.

FWIW upgrading the hard drive on a Topfield is pretty straightforward
for anyone with a bit of technical nous who is prepared to read up on
the tpfield user group forums.

Another approach which I haven't tried is to keep the 'swapout' disk
and stick it in a Linux PC (with eg. a caddyless drive bay). You
should be able to play the recordings on the PC straight from the
drive.

J^n