Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx Fredxx is offline

Default electronic component to be soldered onto circuit board

"Tom" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies - yes I am in London W4!

If it has a fair bit of copper content to it, then it likely needs more
heat.

I tried using a battery powered soldering iron I got from Maplins but
it wasn't powerful enough, but an ordinary one was too hot I think.

Please take a look at the photos I've posted in the attached link:-

http://s800.photobucket.com/albums/y...xflexi-new.jpg
http://s800.photobucket.com/albums/y...exicloseup.jpg

Temperature is everything, especially with lead free solders which require a
higher temperature to melt and flow. Too hot and you destroy the plastic
and any adhesion between copper and substrate.

I can only suggest you look for "electronic assembly" in your local
directories and pay a visit. Anyone with half an eye and who is competent
with a soldering iron should be able to do this for you. If you were local
I would say pop in, as it would only take 10 minutes.