Posted to uk.d-i-y
DenisP DenisP is offline

Default kitchen tap problem

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
DenisP wrote:
I have a mixer tap in the kitchen and there is a problem in that when I
turn on the hot tap (quarter turn valve) there is often up to a 15 second
delay before any water comes out. There is no problem with the mains cold
and the hot is fed from the cylinder which is upstairs and about 12 feet
away. Pipewaork downstairs is 22mm feed reducing to 15mm. Hot water is
softened. There is a hot feed to the washer from the undersking cupboard
but turning that off makes no difference

So far I have tried ...
1) A replacement tap (now a Franke mixer)same problem although it didn't
do it immediatley.
2) Moving the HW supplied to the 3.5bar Monsoon pump

So I am now at a loss .. I'd have thought the overrun on the pump would
keep the pressure in the pipe, but it seems not to be the case. the tap
can be turned off for just a couple of minutes and when it is turned on
again we get the same lag. I can only assume it's a sticky valve but then
why has it happened to 2 different taps. Plumber is also confused as to
what it might be.

Any advice/observations appreciated

Denis

If the cylinder is upstairs why the pump? Also it's not clear what your
2) means. What does it mean to supply HW to the pump? How/where did you
move the HW supplied to the pump?

Existing kitchen gravity HW feed that came from top of 4 year old HW
cylinder (in airing cupboard upstairs) is now fed from the outlet of the
pump (also in airing cupboard) which is a 22mm feed from the side of the
cylinder. The cold water tank (softened water) is on a raised platform in
the loft and feeds the cylinder using 28mm pipework. Reason for pumping
kitchen circuit was to increase flow (which it does) and try and get over
the lag which is now worse