Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke Mike Clarke is offline

Default Could you be an electrician in 1912?

Broadback wrote:

My parents house was wired in more modern times, 1950. The mains cable
was pinned to the walls and sheathed in lead. Be worth a fortune today!

I still keep coming across disused bits of lead sheathed cable in the loft
of our 1930's bungalow. Surprisingly the insulation looks to be in
remarkable condition where it's been exposed at the cut ends - not that I'd
suggest that it would still be safe to use. A "junction box" for the lead
sheathed cable I came across looked quite scary though - a thin piece of
metal sheet with 4 cable clamps equally spaced round the edge and a
porcelain terminal block in the middle, it didn't look as if it ever had
any sort of cover.

--
Mike Clarke