Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Bending metal

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message news:rQI3o.484478$_m6.61707@hurricane...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
If I bend a piece of 1" x 1/8" ms flat into an 'L' shape, how do I
make it stay that shape & not bend back when a load is applied?

Would I heat it to 'red', bend it, then quench it in water/oil? Or
bend it cold, heat it, quench it?

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I was thinking more of a bracket like this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11529/...Brackets/Corne
r-Braces-Zinc-Plated-25-x-25-x-16-5mm-Pack-of-10

They pretty much stay in shape under light loads. Are they just bent?

I can bend those with my bare hands so they wont support much.

"Once I was a forty pound weakling. Now I am two separate gorillas."

Eh, dennis ?

only in the canyons of your mind ...

or, have I lost you there ?

You don't have the intellect to lose anyone.
Why don't you go back to being drivel for a while, people miss him.