Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve R.[_3_] Steve R.[_3_] is offline

Default Sources for "real" music wire

"Robert Roland" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:38:34 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Since I'm thrilled to pieces to have a _real_ hobby shop in town, I
don't want to encourage him to turn into just another toy store.

While I can understand your point, I don't think you are doing him a
favor by letting him, unknowingly, continue to sell poor quality
stuff. Over time, the result is that customers will quit coming in the
doors, and that's not what he wants.

If you don't want to take the item back, at least let him know, in a
friendly way, that the product is no good.
--
RoRo

Some years ago (20?) o bought some K&S to make some springs. It turned out
to be hard drawn wire, not real carbon steel piano wire. Once annealed, it
could not be hardened like the real stuff they sold before that. In the late
60s to late 70s I kept an old '62 Norton motorcycle going, using my own home
made parts. Kick starter return springs could just be made from a yard of
hobby shop piano wire. The later stuff was no good. I had to buy a 12 foot
length of ground all over, which is much the same as drill rod, but the
diameter is not so accurately controlled.

Steve R.